Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Year in Music (and a few books)


Music is so important to keeping my motivation on track. I think I spent almost my entire year on Pandora, with the exception of a few albums. A few of my "go to" stations grew from the seeds of Jackie Mittoo, Bob Marley, Django Reinhardt, Stars, and Phoenix.

It was also a year unexpectedly filled with books. Making them, buying them....books books books! And ALL children's books. My favorite finds from this year and years previous:
"Being a Pig is Nice" by Sally Lloyd Jones/ Dan Krall
The Octonauts Series by Meomi
and of course:
Blankets by Craig Thompson


As for music, here's the top five albums that made it on my playlists over and over again (and why):


5. Flight of the Conchords "I Told You I Was Freaky"
Ok, this album is just plain old funny. The show is hilarious, the songs are great and very well written. You know...if you're into that.

4. Mayer Hawthorne 'A Strange Arrangement"
If you're feeling a 60s vibe, this album is key. Every person who heard me play this asked "Is this NEW?" I think it's a pretty bold move to take on a Smokey Robinson-esque sound right now.

3. The Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow"
And then there's the Black Eyed Peas. Different from the previous, I know. But listen...if you have a bike and you have one hour to ride to work everyday...if you need a serious jolt of energy fast? This works.
Though to be honest, the album could probably cut out around track 10. It's way too long. It just keeps going and going near the end, each song making less and less sense. But then, if the album is 1 1/2 hours and you have an hour ride to work it doesn't matter, does it?


2. Phoenix "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix"
Stellar album. Period. :)

1. Pearl Jam "Backspacer"
Pearl Jam's last album didn't make it to number 1...but this one does. It's refreshing, for an avid fan like me, to have an uplifting sound from Eddie Vedder again. Rock.


And here's hoping for an exceptionally good 2010. I have a whole lot of news and art to show in the upcoming months! Keeping secrets is sooooo hard. :) Until then...

A very healthy, happy new year to all of you! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment