Saturday, February 23, 2013

Playing Catch-Up!

One of the things I love most about Boston is how reachable everything is. I have lived just about a 5 minute stroll from Candlewick Press for 3 years, (How cool is that?) but never knew if I'd be able to actually...go in. I had the absolute priveledge of meeting with Art Resource Coordinator, Anne Moore this week. She guided me through the hall of original art, past the color coordinated bookshelves. and it was all I could do to not squeal with excitement. Thank you, Anne, for your advice and your good company! 

I managed to squeak out one picture before I left, the giant red wall that greets you and two of my favorite characters in modern children's literature: 


It has been nearly two weeks since my last blog post. Unfortunately, one of those was spent surrounded by kleenex, blankets, and remotes on my couch. One of the good things that comes from being quarantined is the ability to focus. I made sure my sketchbook was nearby with sharpened pencils and fresh ink at all times, which left me with a backlog to post here!

My Valentine this year:


A character from a story I am working on:


Another character(s) from the same story:


Playing with my new Winsor Newton Watercolor field set:


And lastly, a little sketchbook flipbook experiment. This process shot will give you an idea of how I plan my pictures, then go over the line with brush pen:


And go back in with pencil to add a little depth:


Silly bird!


Thanks for reading and I'll see you soon! Today I am heading down to the RISD Nature Lab to sketch live animals with my husband and a few illustrator friends (some of whom I'll be meeting for the first time in person)! I expect a blog post to come out of that for sure. :D 

Cheers!
~Renee

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful work! The porcupine character is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, these are TRULY fantastic. Love the watercoloured painting and all the sketches. So cute. So darling. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete